Saturday, April 18, 2009

Firenze...

I arrived yesterday, after a few very long train rides, in Florence. I hadn't thought that I would be returning to this city but am so happy to be here! I got to my hostel, Ostello Monaca, and got into my room then headed out for some walking and exploring. After walking across the Arno I wandered my way to see the Duomo, walked through some other streets, passed the Uffizi and many other famous landmarks. I eventually crossed over the Ponte Vecchio and ate dinner at a Rick Steves recommended restaurant overlooking the Arno river. An amazing first night in Italy dinner of pizza, wine, tiramisu, and a cappuchino!!
This morning I woke up and got all my things back ready to move...after standing outside of the hostel for a few minutes I saw my dear friend Kristin walking towards me! After an emotional reuniting and several excited hugs we headed to her place to drop off my luggage then head out for the start of our adventure!! We started our morning with a cappuchino and pastry at her favorite local tabacchi then walked to the Uffizi gallery. The line was really long but with Kristin's handy museum pass (given to students in her program) we were able to hop the line and all the museums were free admission today...so I was able to walk right in :-) It was so incredible to see all of the art I had spent the last few years studying. The first time I set foot in this museum I had no idea that I would have been an art history major!! Kristin's love for Art History meant we were able to enjoy our slow saunter through the exhibits.
After the Uffizi, we made our way to the Duomo and stood in the quick line to climb to the top of the Dome. We began our ascent of the 463 steps to the very tip top of Brunelleschi's masterpiece! It actually began to downpour while we were walking up, but fortunately, it stopped for the time that we were on top and we spent a good amount of time enjoying the views and chatting in the open air above Florence! We were both pretty hungry after the climb and Kristin took us to one of her favorite sandwhich shops around the corner from her apt. An amazing little hole in the wall (literally) where I had a mozzerella, ham, and rucola(arugala) sandwhich...so so so good!!! After munching, we headed to the Galleria dell'Accademia and just walked straight into the museum..no lines and no cost!! Michelangelo's David is just such an amazing work of art. We stood and sat in awe of the sculpture for probably 30-45 minutes before finally wandering back out into the streets of Firenze. Even though there was a light sprinkle we decided on gelato being the next stop. On recommendation from a professor's wife, she took me to a place called Vestri....and even Kristin claims it was the BEST gelato she has had since she has been over here!!! I had an amazing combination of Stracciatella and Chocolate Hazelnut...so incredible, it was soft and perfect and we got a HUGE portion for only 1euro70.
We are now taking a slight break in her apartment before deciding what to do next :-)

CIAO CIAO

No comments: